PDA

View Full Version : male sexiness in eastern cinema

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

easterndelight
10-24-2006, 05:44 AM
In movies and films , how are the male sexiness portrayed?

to my thinking, eastern films rarely displays the male sexiness that you find in western films. for me, the male sexiness in eastern films are just....there...invisible yet...well maybe tooo invisible.

do you find eastern films sexy? if so, how? and why? if not...how can it be made sexy?

royal1986
10-27-2006, 01:26 AM
In movies and films , how are the male sexiness portrayed?

to my thinking, eastern films rarely displays the male sexiness that you find in western films. for me, the male sexiness in eastern films are just....there...invisible yet...well maybe tooo invisible.

do you find eastern films sexy? if so, how? and why? if not...how can it be made sexy?

this is what i found out, asian girls tent to go for guys who are a bit girly... take a look at most of the asian male movie stars, they somehow all share the long girly hair and being extremely skinny.

westren films are more about guys being tough, rough and muscular. but at the sametime i also see actors like leoarndo dicaprio and olando bloom being popluar by being more on the feminate side.

Le Anh-Huy
10-27-2006, 09:01 AM
this is what i found out, asian girls tent to go for guys who are a bit girly... take a look at most of the asian male movie stars, they somehow all share the long girly hair and being extremely skinny. ...

But that's only in regards to Hong Kong movies (where dorky, effeminate William Hung-types and Jackie Chan-types reign supreme!), as well as a small sub-culture within Korean movies. The latter though, of course, have more prestige or appeal for some reason, attracting mor "int'l" audiences, don't forget that thread about Egyptian women all head-over-heals about Won Bin and Korean soaps.

...whereas cheezy HK movies with no plot or acting will always only be just that, cheesy HK with no plot or acting.

Donnie Yen and Chow Yun-fat seem the ONLY two actors out of all of HK who seem to be able to make anything of themselves...perhaps Edison Chen with "Grudge 2" might reach up there as well.

If you look at movies produced in Japan or Beijing, you see clearly how audiences prefer male actors who look like Watanabe Ken, Sanada Hiroyuki, Yu Rongguang, and actor/directors Chen Kaige and Zhang Yimou. These men seem to have that "charisma" where their noble, masculine, and sophisticated appearances can appeal to worldwide audiences.

:cool:

easterndelight
10-27-2006, 11:29 AM
But that's only in regards to Hong Kong movies (where dorky, effeminate William Hung-types and Jackie Chan-types reign supreme!), as well as a small sub-culture within Korean movies. The latter though, of course, have more prestige or appeal for some reason, attracting mor "int'l" audiences, don't forget that thread about Egyptian women all head-over-heals about Won Bin and Korean soaps.

...whereas cheezy HK movies with no plot or acting will always only be just that, cheesy HK with no plot or acting.

Donnie Yen and Chow Yun-fat seem the ONLY two actors out of all of HK who seem to be able to make anything of themselves...perhaps Edison Chen with "Grudge 2" might reach up there as well.

If you look at movies produced in Japan or Beijing, you see clearly how audiences prefer male actors who look like Watanabe Ken, Sanada Hiroyuki, Yu Rongguang, and actor/directors Chen Kaige and Zhang Yimou. These men seem to have that "charisma" where their noble, masculine, and sophisticated appearances can appeal to worldwide audiences.

:cool:

noble, masculine and sophistication...all three combined.

yeah.. you dont see that in western cinema, at least not all three together.

royal1986
10-27-2006, 04:08 PM
noble, masculine and sophistication...all three combined.

yeah.. you dont see that in western cinema, at least not all three together.

im sure you have heard about the "superman" right?

JohnTheManWhore
10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
There definitely is a difference between what's considered attractive in Asia and in the West. Asia seems to have this fixation on "beautiful men", which by American standards would be considered efemminate(sp?). Some examples that quickly pop up in my mind would be Donnie Yen and Chow Yun-Fat. They seem like they'd be cool guys to talk to in real life, but on screen they look like softies. But that's how the Asian cinemas want to portray them.

In America, guys like Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Russel Crowe, and Hugh Jackman are considered attractive. Of the four, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp fall into the prettyboy category. But what they all have in common is that their characters always have a hint of ruggedness to them--that's something that you don't find in Asian cinemas.

I believe it's all part of the culture. American romanticism is based on the idea of "settling the unknown lands" , "The Wild, Wild West" , Cowboys and Indians, Monday Night Football, Chevy Camaros etc.. so over time we've placed more emphasis on ruggedness as being qualities that makes a man attractive.

That's just my quick take on it. :)

azncowboy
10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
As an old school HK movie fan I have to say..

William Hung and Jackie Chan "types" do not "reign supreme" in HK cinema. (there's noone who can emulate JC anyway)

Donnie Yen is not a "softie". If any thing he's known as a macho, gungh0 (and somewhat egotistical) type. Take a look at his last few movies like Dragon Tiger Gate, SPL, and Seven Swords. In Seven Swords he played the smoldering hunk.. pretty well actually..

"I believe it's all part of the culture. American romanticism is based on the idea of "settling the unknown lands" , "The Wild, Wild West" , Cowboys and Indians, Monday Night Football, Chevy Camaros etc.. so over time we've placed more emphasis on ruggedness as being qualities that makes a man attractive. "

^ I think that's somewhat correct. Europeans have somewhat different ideas of attractiveness than Americans as well.

Le Anh-Huy
10-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Some examples that quickly pop up in my mind would be Donnie Yen and Chow Yun-Fat. They seem like they'd be cool guys to talk to in real life, but on screen they look like softies. But that's how the Asian cinemas want to portray them.

In America, guys like Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Russel Crowe, and Hugh Jackman are considered attractive. Of the four, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp fall into the prettyboy category. But what they all have in common is that their characters always have a hint of ruggedness to them--that's something that you don't find in Asian cinemas. :)

Since when do HK films represent all Asian films? Maybe you should broaden your choice in Asian movies, man. You're last comment might suggest that you are confined to HK trash when it comes to Asian cinema.

Chow Yun-fat and Donnie Yen DO have a hint of ruggedness in them; look at their features. Even better examples are from my last post just above. Check out our comments earlier, and check out Beijing films and Japanese films, with male actors much more "rugged" look. Only HK and some Korean movies "Glorify" effeminate men. No one takes HK movies seriously anyways. And yet, films from Japan and Beijing, China do get int'l recognition.

JohnTheManWhore
10-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm certainly not doggin Donni Yen, I like his style and he seems like a pretty cool guy. But it'd be silly to think that Donnie Yen's characters are any near as masculine as Russel Crowe's characters. Please note that I'm refering to the characters that they play and not who they are in real life.

Le Anh-Huy
10-27-2006, 05:10 PM
As an old school HK movie fan I have to say..

William Hung and Jackie Chan "types" do not "reign supreme" in HK cinema. (there's noone who can emulate JC anyway)

Donnie Yen is not a "softie". If any thing he's known as a macho, gungh0 (and somewhat egotistical) type. Take a look at his last few movies like Dragon Tiger Gate, SPL, and Seven Swords. In Seven Swords he played the smoldering hunk.. pretty well actually..
"I believe it's all part of the culture. American romanticism is based on the idea of "settling the unknown lands" , "The Wild, Wild West" , Cowboys and Indians, Monday Night Football, Chevy Camaros etc.. so over time we've placed more emphasis on ruggedness as being qualities that makes a man attractive. "

^ I think that's somewhat correct. Europeans have somewhat different ideas of attractiveness than Americans as well.

Good example; and that's a "new" trend for HK tastes; come on, for decades, effeminate men littered HK film like that guy who committed suicide like two years ago, his name escapes me...he was in the "Farwell My Concubine" film with Gong Li.

You're from Canada, and surely you occasionally watch ONMI TV on Saturday nights; and I'm sure why you also know why they had been showing nothing but dubbed Korean movies for about a year, until HK started "improving" it's movies.

JohnTheManWhore
10-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Since when do HK films represent all Asian films? Maybe you should broaden your choice in Asian movies, man. You're last comment might suggest that you are confined to HK trash when it comes to Asian cinema.

Chow Yun-fat and Donnie Yen DO have a hint of ruggedness in them; look at their features. Even better examples are from my last post just above. Check out our comments earlier, and check out Beijing films and Japanese films, with male actors much more "rugged" look. Only HK and some Korean movies "Glorify" effeminate men. No one takes HK movies seriously anyways. And yet, films from Japan and Beijing, China do get int'l recognition.

My man, I'm not really a fan of any films from Asia. I have had the chance to check out a few Korean movies, some Chinese flicks (non-HK), and a few Japanese flicks as well. And I still stand by what I said that in general, Asian male characters aren't anywhere near as masculine as their American counterparts. This is definitely not a knock on the actors themselves or about AM's in general, it's my opinion on the ideal of what's perceived as attractive in Asia vs. America.

:beerchug:

Le Anh-Huy
10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
JohntheManWhore: "...settling "the unknown lands" , "The Wild, Wild West"..."

But don't forget, settling the unknown lands and the "wild wild west" are also ideals for the northern Chinese. Ethnic Chinese who settled in Xinjiang and Ningxia- as "wild" Central Asian regions- were considered brave since they were the "cutting edge" or frontiers of Chinese civilization itself.

It's just that in the sedentary south regions of China, people (ie. esp. men) lost taste for adventure and "strength", preferring to just make a living in commerce.

Le Anh-Huy
10-27-2006, 05:21 PM
My man, I'm not really a fan of any films from Asia. I have had the chance to check out a few Korean movies, some Chinese flicks (non-HK), and a few Japanese flicks as well. And I still stand by what I said that in general, Asian male characters aren't anywhere near as masculine as their American counterparts. This is definitely not a knock on the actors themselves or about AM's in general, it's my opinion on the ideal of what's perceived as attractive in Asia vs. America.

:beerchug:

Well, to an extent I see what you're saying. My late grandmother, all the way up until her last days, had always been attracted to the more "softer" and effeminate men- whether it came to movies or in general. And she always hated rugged guys.

JohnTheManWhore
10-27-2006, 05:27 PM
JohntheManWhore: "...settling "the unknown lands" , "The Wild, Wild West"..."

But don't forget, settling the unknown lands and the "wild wild west" are also ideals for the northern Chinese. Ethnic Chinese who settled in Xinjiang and Ningxia- as "wild" Central Asian regions- were considered brave since they were the "cutting edge" or frontiers of Chinese civilization itself.

It's just that in the sedentary south regions of China, people (ie. esp. men) lost taste for adventure and "strength", preferring to just make a living in commerce.

Yes that's true, over time, the ideal of "braving the frontier" fades because it's only a "frontier" for a finite amount of time. China has been an established civilaztion for thousands of years. While America has only been around for like 300 years so the sense of frontier is still relatively fresh in American culture.

Europe I'd say is comparable to Asia in their perception of male beauty. Since both Europe and Asia have been established cultures for thousands of years, both cultures no longer place an emphasis on the ruggedness associated with the "frontier" mindset. If you look at some of the movies out of Europe, all the guys are a bunch of softies as well whereas guys from the newlands: America, Australia, Canada, South America, are all more masculine.

I

JohnTheManWhore
10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Another example just popped up in my mind and maybe some of the game nuts will recognize this also:

Remember when Metal Gear Solid 2 came out and everyone in America pretty much puked at the thought of Solid Snake being replaced for Raiden? That's because Solid Snake is a rugged badass and that's what we like in America. Whereas in Japan, Raiden was welcomed because he was somewhat softer and more efemminate than big bad Solid Snake. It's the cultural difference.