Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Master
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Kansas City, USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Turnitin Sucks Balls

So, I'm in the final stretch of Nursing.
    I'm obligated to write a paper from a list of subjects chosen by instructors,
    pertinent to nursing.

I was told by my instructor that we could use papers that we had previously written, even in part. NOT!

If a previous instructor has submitted your paper to Turnitin, plagiarism software that costs a whopping $20,000!!!

I might add that checking for plagiarism can just as easily be done on Google, free of cost!!!
    Google is more accurate in checking for plagiarism.

Upon agreeing to the terms of use, Turnitin "own" copyrights to anything you submit, ANYTHING!!!
    And when you submit your current paper Turnitin compares it to your previous paper and it comes up as Plagiarized

There are only so many ways you can write a paper on a particular subject, and even taking into account the precise number of original words from the original text that you can use to paraphrase, APA style ,it still comes up as plagiarized.

BECAUSE TURNITIN IS HIGHLY INACCURATE!!!!!:banghead:

If your school requires you to submit your paper to Turnitin to have it checked, by agreeing to users terms you are signing all of your rights away, including the right to sue Turnitin if they are WRONG!

Most schools do not state at the beginning of a class that turning your paper in to Turnitin is required,,although they may require
    I realized early on just how flawed this software was, and reported the details from factual online research to the instructors.
    They want us to submit our papers to them in hard copy, along with the original text sources that we cited.

They are then going to have to give us "suggestions" to resolve our paper,,,in other words, rewrite it,,,in an effort to be able to submit it with a LOW degree of
    plagiarism, determined, of course, by Turnitin flawed software.

If unchallenged, this accusation of plagiarism is BOUND to show up on our records somewhere down the road.
    I can just see this turning up on CNN when I run for Prez.

WTF!

So, depending upon how effective you are at arguing your rights to the instructor and/or department head/dean, whatever, you could be;
    1. flunked
    2. branded forever as a plagiarist
    3. have your own creative works/digital code/etc used for Turnitin's profit
    (regardless of what they say, this has already surfaced)

The last paper I submitted said 30% plagiarism.
    This is seriously fakked!
    "Some kids piss their name in the snow. Chuck Norris can piss his name into concrete."

Apprentice
    This user has no status.

I am:
    Secret

FTL, FL
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had to use turnitin for Composition class and I agree. It's stupid!

Put that in your juice box and suck it!

Master
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Kansas City, USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    A prime example of what I'm talking about.
    Our instructor gave us permission to use our own previously written papers,
    but Turnitin disagrees and brands you a plagiarist!

Can you SERIOUSLY plagiarize yourself!!?? - Reader comments at The New York Sun

"Submitted by TL, Oct 6, 2007 10:13

I am going through this situation now in grad school. I was assigned to do an article review for one class last semester. The following semester, in a different class, I was assigned another article review. Trying to avoid "re-inventing the wheel" I submitted the same article review for this class. Keep in mind, this was MY article review in MY own words!

I received an email from my professor saying that my article review came back through an "originality report" as being a 91% match of another students paper turned in previously by MYSELF a few months ago!!!! My professor said that "multiple submissions" was a form of plagiarism. So basically, in a nutshell, my professor was saying that I plagiarized myslf! I know what your thinking...."HUH?"

This fits no definition I have ever heard of what plaigiarism is. SO BE CAREFUL!! Turnitin picks up your own work that you have previously submitted as well! And in my case, it was considered plagiarism."

And, just so I'm being perfectly clear, Turnitin does not check so much for plagiarism as it does "similarities" and "originality".
    So, say Turnitin decides that my paper is not original,,,particularly since every single nursing student in America has the opportunity to write a paper on the same subject every semester,,,,then I'm obligated to rewrite the paper.

The only option I have at this point is to argue the points to the head of the department and hope that they will bypass Turnitin, or NO ONE will be graduating from my nursing class. So far, we've all been determined to be plagiarizing.

"Some kids piss their name in the snow. Chuck Norris can piss his name into concrete."

Mentor
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

NC
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    UGH, turnitin sucks terribly. I had to use it a couple years ago for an environmental science class. First it's definition of plagarism is too vague. I had names of agencies that came up as plagarism because their title was 5 words long. Then all the checks agaisnt other papers. Well if you assign the same paper to 200 students..you're gonna get alot of the same stuff, there's just so many ways to state something.

Luckily, none of my upper level residency classes used turnitin so I got to get away from it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Master
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Kansas City, USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Master
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Kansas City, USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    What if you have already been victimized by Turnitin???
    For every month that this assinine program holds up a nursing grad
    it costs us thousands of dollars.

wrongly accused - Reader comments at The New York Sun

"Submitted by M, Mar 8, 2008 14:05

I am a semester away from finishing my master's degree and have had my first experience with turnitin.com. I was accused of plagiarizing by my professor because 41% of paper was copied from other sources. That is all it said. Did I forget to quote something, did I quote too much, or are there simply other like-minded grad students out there writing similar papers as myself? Who knows?! All I know is that I received a 0 on my paper instead of A I would have received had the stupid website not existed. I have never and will never plagiarize a paper. I am an exemplary student who has just been screwed by this website. Thanks a lot turnitin.com!"

Journeyman
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Boston, MA
    Thanks
    real cheaters always find ways to beat the system

Master
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Kansas City, USA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by efeses81 View Post
    real cheaters always find ways to beat the system
    You know it!

Guide
    is Living life!

I am:
    Cool

FL
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had to turn my paper in through that site....my paper was a bunch of BS...and I still got pass the site. Some people are just stupid, when it comes to cheating....that's why they have to do the turnit, thingy now for a lot of professors. If your teacher can find your paper just by typing in a sentence in your paper...thats just sad. I am not saying I AM a cheater...*ahem*..just sayin..

Thread Information