Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    larissa
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

British slang / sayings.

Ok i'm starting this thread about british slang / sayings. I hope you will find it interesting, and if any of the members here who are from the UK could chime in to give me a helping hand that would be great. These are just a few from memory.

Adam and eve: Means believe. E.G i don't "adam and eve" it. Normally used for cockney slang

All fur coat and no knickers: Means a woman with an all superficial appearance and no real substance beneath.

Gob: Another term for mouth. E.G shut you "gob", or they got a "gob" full.

Ave it: Means get in there, go for it. E.G go on "ave it" my lad.

barking: Means insane, crazy. E.G your "barking" mad.

Chuck: A term of endearment. E.G come on "chuck".

Egg banjo: Means a fried egg sandwich.

Drip: Means a feeble and boring person. E.G stop being such a "drip".

Scarper: Means to go, often hurriedly, escape fast. E.G the lads sure did "scarper" when the police came.

Anyroad: Means anyway, also. E.G well anyroad as i was saying.

Ish: Means somethings not nice, rubbish. E.G no i don't want that it's "ish" and also "cack" can be used.

Dash, split, chipping: Means to go, leave. E.G ok i'm gonna "dash" off, i think i should "split", no i'm "chipping" <this is the most used one.

Wicked: Means awesome, it's good. E.G did you have a "wicked" time?? yeah i had a "wicked" time.

JacK jones: Means to be a lone, no company, on your own. E.G i was all on my "jack jones". Normally used for cockney slang.

Cap ya: It's a threat of violence. E.G you'd better watch it or i'll "cap ya". It means to get a baseball bat and break their knees so they can't walk.

Wazz: Means wee, to go to the toilet. E.G i got to go i need a "wazz".

As right as rain: Means everythings ok, satisfactory comfortable. E.G yeah i'm "as right as rain".

Cane (it): Means to travel at great speed. E.G i "caned" it down the motorway and i made it in record time.

Chillax: Means to relax, take time out, to chill.

Schtum: Means quite, silent. E.G keep "schtum" about it we'll get into trouble otherwise.

Cow bosh: Means to put a damper on the mood, to spoil something. E.G well that's put the "cow bosh" on that.

Muppet: Means you don't have a brain, like those little hand puppets that need to be controlled. E.G what a "muppet", or do you have to be such a "muppet"??.

Bee's knee's: Means it's the best, absolutely awesome.

Down the pan: Means wasted, lost, ruined. E.G well that's gone "down the pan".

Chuffed as nuts: Means to be extremely pleased.

Scrike: Means to cry.

Best thing since sliced bread: Means absolutely the best thing ever.

Elbow grease: Means manual hard work. E.G come on put some "elbow grease" into it.

Chin (someone): Means to hit someone on the chin, to spark them out. E.G i'm gonna "chin" that idiot if he don't shut up.

Clanger: Means a mistake or blunder. E.G i've dropped a right "clanger".

Spawny: Means very lucky, get's all good and no bad.

Blowing chuncks: Means to be sick, or want to be sick, spew or honk(ed) are also used.

Aussie kiss: Means exactly the same as the french kiss. But given down under,

Bob (hope): Means marijuana, cannabis. Normally used for cockney slang (dope)

Cow juice: Means milk.

Dough: Means money. E.G no i don't have much "dough".

Arse about tit: Means back to front, to get everything wrong.

Apeshit: Means to get angry, lose your temper. E.G i went "apeshit" or they went "apeshit".

Bob's your uncle: Means there you have it. (used as a catch phrase, expressing satisfactory completion)

Single fish: Means an act of urination. Normally used for cockney slang.

Bladdered: Means drunk. E.G i got "bladdered" last night, or i'm gonna get "bladdered".

Cackhander: Means a left handed person.

Lifting your/my legs: Means having sex. E.G i went out "lifting my legs", or you've been "lifting your legs".

Titselinabumsquirt: Means a girl who's well developed, (big breasts and rounded ass) E.G look here comes a "titselinabumsquirt".

Eyetie: Means an italian. (i am confused about this one, not sure why people say this but they do)

LOL ok that was long, these was just straight off the top of my head. If you want i'll try to post some more when i think of them lol. Anyone else want's to add feel free.
    Last edited by larissa; 07-02-2005 at 01:55 AM.

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

around the world
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ooh, i'm chuffed as nuts to see your list!
    here's one that i used to hear in the u.k.:

"keep your alans on!" : for "calm down"

wtf?

the explanation was quite complicated. "alan" referred to the BBC commentator alan whicker, whose name was used as cockney rhyming slang for "knickers", which is the british term for what americans call "panties."
    聖人不仁

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

USA
    Thanks
    Great post!!!!

I've heard some of them before, but others are new to me. Some we use here in the states. Now can you say them with a nice sexy english accent!!

I like chuffed as nuts, spawny and clanger. I'm going to have to work those into a conversation sometime.

I'm confused, is an Aussie kiss on the mouth or down under??? It does make a difference you know!!

Thanks for the post. I can tell you're not all fur coat and no knickers.

Legend
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Hell Paso/ Ft. Bliss
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would wear a (faux) fur coat and no knickers!

(LOL I soooo could not resist!! )

larissa
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by AsianOne
    Great post!!!!

I've heard some of them before, but others are new to me. Some we use here in the states. Now can you say them with a nice sexy english accent!!

I like chuffed as nuts, spawny and clanger. I'm going to have to work those into a conversation sometime.

I'm confused, is an Aussie kiss on the mouth or down under??? It does make a difference you know!!

Thanks for the post. I can tell you're not all fur coat and no knickers.
    LOL thanks, i've put a few in there that are my personal use, not many people use them just my family and friends lol.

Spawny is used a lot, lol i think people in the states are gonna be like, ok what the hell are you talking about.

Ok the "aussie kiss" not on the mouth lol.

This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

"Sod off!" = Fuck off!

"You bloody tosser!" = You goddamn/fucking wanker/asshole!

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoldierGirl
    I would wear a (faux) fur coat and no knickers!

(LOL I soooo could not resist!! )
    Me too! I love that combo!
    When I was in college, I would love to go out walking at night when a gentle snow was falling. I would don my heavy boots and a hand-me-down long fur coat from my grandma and be completely naked underneath. I was really warm under the fur coat, but so aware of how vulnerable I was at the same time. I would go to the park that ran along the Charles river, with no one around, and open my coat and feel winter on my body. What a cure for all that pent up, out of balance from studying too much energy.

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

USA
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Parijata
    When I was in college, I would love to go out walking at night when a gentle snow was falling. I would don my heavy boots and a hand-me-down long fur coat from my grandma and be completely naked underneath. I was really warm under the fur coat, but so aware of how vulnerable I was at the same time. I would go to the park that ran along the Charles river, with no one around, and open my coat and feel winter on my body. What a cure for all that pent up, out of balance from studying too much energy.
    Very sensual, but slightly naughty. You make it sound so natural....it kinda makes me wish I would have known you in college.

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Thanks
    Very sensual, but slightly naughty. You make it sound so natural....it kinda makes me wish I would have known you in college.
    Nahh, I've gotten better with time and experience.
    Besides, in college, I seemed nice, but I could just as easily ripped your heart out and eaten it for breakfast in front of you, on a whim. I like me better now. And I still wear hand-me-down furs in the snow.

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

around the world
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    hmm, was this in boston or cambridge?
    聖人不仁

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

USA
    Thanks
    Nahh, I've gotten better with time and experience.
    Besides, in college, I seemed nice, but I could just as easily ripped your heart out and eaten it for breakfast in front of you, on a whim. I like me better now. And I still wear hand-me-down furs in the snow.
    Wow, Hannibal Lechter-ish. Thanks for the warning. I'd have to say I like you better now too, since I didn't know you then.

Hmmmmm...is this an invitation to join you....where are we going? Should I bring my own fur or could I share yours?

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaemi
    hmm, was this in boston or cambridge?
    Boston

Wow, Hannibal Lechter-ish. Thanks for the warning. I'd have to say I like you better now too, since I didn't know you then.
    Ewww! It was entirely allegorical, I meant it in an emotional or psychological sense, not a literal one!

larissa
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Just a few more i've thought of.

Pillock: Means an idiot, a fool. E.G you "pillock".

Pig: Means a policeman/woman.

Oik: Means an unsophisticated, uncultured and objectionable person.

Owt: Means anything E.G is there "owt" on t.v??

Nabi Means to steal E.G next time i go back i'm gonna "nabi" that top

Mo: Means a moment E.G wait there i'll be with you in a "mo".

Muggins: Means a fool, someone easily outwitted, usually said with regards to oneself. E.G that's right leave it to "muggins" here as usual.

Ta: Means thank you.

Unreal: Means fantastic, excellent, wonderful, an expression of approval.

Ugly as sin: Means very ugly, not sexually attractive.

Village: Means useless, of no value, poor quality.

Yo-yo knickers: Means a promiscuous woman, a sexually loose woman.

Rabbit: Means to talk, often unceasingly, normally used for cockney slang. (rabbit and pork)

Roister-doister: Means a cheery and boisterous person.

Palaver: Means a tedious fuss, or discussion. E.G what's all the "palaver" about??

Para: Means to be paranoid.

Oliver (twist): Means fist, normally used for cockney slang. E.G come on put on your oliver's and we'll sort this.

Naff off: Means get lost, leave me a lone, a euphemism for fuck off.

Narked/narky: Means annoyed, ill tempered and moody.

Manky: Means scruffy, dirty and distasteful

Mint: Means excellent and wonderful.

Leave it out: Means stop it. stop doing that.

Threads: Means clothes.

Talk the hind leg off a donkey: Means to talk incessantly.

Tasty: Means attractive.

Threepenny bit's: Means womens breasts, normally used for cockney slang.

Rare as hen's teeth: Means very uncommon, nonexistent.

Roll up: Means to make a cigarette by hand, the term most people use is "rollie" E.G you got a "rollie"??

Poison dwarf: Means an unpleasant, diminutive person.

Oscar (slater): Means later, normally used for cockney slang.

Nebby: Means to be nosey.

Make mince meat of (someome): Means to beat up thoroughly, to utterly defeat.

Like a blue arsed fly: Means hurriedly and frantically. E.G god i'm so tired, i've been racing around all day "like a blue arsed fly".

Mardy: Is someone who get's upset very easily, or moans incessantly.

Vicky-verky: Means vice-versa, a humourous and deliberate mispronunciation.

Umpteen: Means many, a lot of. E.G there was "umpteen" colours to choose from.

Tealeaf: Means thief, normally used for cockney slang.

Thick ear: Means a slap around the head, to hit someone on the ear, often used as an idle threat. E.G stop it or i'll give you a "thick ear".

Rosie lee: Means tea, normally used for cockney slamg.

Paste: Means to beat up E.G i'm gonna "paste" you in a minuet, or i got a right "pasting" last night.

Nifty: Means stylish, looking good. E.G your looking pretty "nifty" today.

Loaf: Means head, normally used for cockney slang.

Pen and ink: Means stink, normally used for cockney slang.

Nosh: Means food.

Phwoah: It's used to express sexual desire at the sight of an attractive person (also spelt, phwoar and phwoargh).

LOL that was just some more i'd thought about today.
    Last edited by larissa; 07-04-2005 at 02:12 PM.

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----