Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ascendant
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

NYC
    Thanks
    I have full respect for Tyra. I'm just unhappy that there were no AM/xF and negative portrayals of AM.

Feel free to discuss your feelings here:
    http://telepicturesblog.warnerbros.c...ng_racism.html
    Last edited by abutteredbagel; 10-10-2006 at 09:20 AM.

Beginner
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Je Suis View Post
    Not surprisingly, the AF stated that she rarely dated AMs - b/c she grew up in the Philippines where lighter skin (what? NE Asians don't have light skin?)and blue eyes are prized and yet DENIED that was the reason why she was with her (geeky) WM bf or mostly dated WMs.
    That there just pisses me off, I'm Filipino and proud to be one, this woman just denied her own race and kinda hates herself for being Asian and not White or Black. There are a lot of these kinda women in Philippines, I just came back there a few months ago around July-August, and I couldn't believe my eyes at how many WM/AF couples I saw and the wrong part about this was the guys, not being racist or anything, looked wrong, they had big bellies, white hair on their heads and basically they wer old men, I would say around their 60's-80's and the Filipino women they wer with wer around their late 20's-early 30's. You paint the picture it just looked wrong. I asked one of the guys there if this was normal, and I couldn't believe what this guy answered to me, he said that girl walking with that fat old white guy used to be my girlfriend but she dumped me after she met that white old fat guy. Those wer his exact words. And then I was just lost for words, all I could say was sorry man. I have nothing against white guys dating asain women, I have friends like that, but I do have something agaisnt Asian women denying their race and origin and heritage and the fact they are asian!
    Till my next post
    Mabuhay

Azn Filipino Pride
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." Bruce Lee

AL Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

USA
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    I think it goes further than that, because it implies that they do not appreciate their OWN physical features, and I dont see how they could possibly have a healthy self-image and high self-esteem.

I remember instances of Asian girls commenting on how I am supposedly light skinned for an Asian guy (I am not, I am average for a Northern Chinese), and I didn't think much of it at the time, but they are very sensitive to these things, maybe even more so than white people.
    What Rico stated is pretty much on point. And yes – there are Asian-Am females who do not appreciate their own features and change them surgically (double-eyelid procedure – there was an AF on Tyra’s show some time ago who had double eye-lid surgery and yet, kept denying that it was b/c she wanted to look more “white? – even though she had rambled about how she wished she had grown up in a white family, etc.).

The whole light-skin tone (and even double-eyelid surgery) have to be seen in a different light in Asia.

Asian cultures have always had an appreciation for “porcelain skin? and many Asian-Am females, who have assimilated into American culture, opt for a nice tan.

Quote Originally Posted by unchained_melody View Post
    As far as the asian female that dates only white males exclusively,,,most of the threads on this site is geared toward how asian men can get white women and the eternal love there is for them hehehehe ..If that is ur preference hooorah kudos man , I am definitely not hating , but don't clown her for having a preference. Now if she was being ignorant about it and being rude then she needs to get smacked down, you don't down play ur race to raise up another , that is why there is the superiority complex among certain races.
    Granted, there are a few people here who seem to have an unhealthy infatuation with WFs – but in general, Asian-Am males (and probably even most of these guys) don’t arbitrarily exclude ALL AFs from their dating pool simply b/c they are Asian.

What the AF in question had was NOT a “preference? (i.e. - a guy may have a preference for blondes, but will still go out with a brunette he finds attractive) – but rather excluded the male gender of her race b/c she has issues with her self-esteem and identity (she feels that Asians are inferior to whites and thusly, hangs out only with whites b/c she doesn’t want to be tainted with the same negative brush that she seems to apply to AMs).

Quote Originally Posted by abutteredbagel View Post
    I have full respect for Tyra. I'm just unhappy that there were no AM/xF and negative portrayals of AM.
    That was unfortunate (but Tyra did set up that one AF with an attractive AM - granted, it was in the context of AFs who think AMs are all losers) - but it seems the show went with standard pairings instead of thinking out of the box (though AM/WF is more prevalent than BF/WM).

AL Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Berkeley
    Thanks
    Maybe they thought an AF/AM would be an unorthodox couple? being that it was the only same race couple on a show about IR, lol.

Beginner
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

.us
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aznfilipinopride View Post
    That there just pisses me off, I'm Filipino and proud to be one, this woman just denied her own race and kinda hates herself for being Asian and not White or Black. There are a lot of these kinda women in Philippines, I just came back there a few months ago around July-August, and I couldn't believe my eyes at how many WM/AF couples I saw and the wrong part about this was the guys, not being racist or anything, looked wrong, they had big bellies, white hair on their heads and basically they wer old men, I would say around their 60's-80's and the Filipino women they wer with wer around their late 20's-early 30's. You paint the picture it just looked wrong. I asked one of the guys there if this was normal, and I couldn't believe what this guy answered to me, he said that girl walking with that fat old white guy used to be my girlfriend but she dumped me after she met that white old fat guy. Those wer his exact words. And then I was just lost for words, all I could say was sorry man. I have nothing against white guys dating asain women, I have friends like that, but I do have something agaisnt Asian women denying their race and origin and heritage and the fact they are asian!
    Till my next post
    Mabuhay
    Interesting first hand experience. Here's a woman (half Filipino on her mother's side) who was told by her mother not to date Filipino men. It seems out of all the Asian women who prefer to date outside their race, Filipino women do so with the most, uh, urgency.

Guide
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Illinois, USA
    Thanks
    oh boy...

interracial dating...there are lots of bugs to work out in it. and society i think as a whole is still not very tolerant or accepting of it. it was, after all, only about fifty years ago that the ban on interracial dating was lifted in the states...and we are only one generation, possibly two, away from that. obviously...there is still much work to be done...
    "You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain, and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else." - Joseph Joubert

Currently listening to: Sweet Dreams - Beyonce

Beginner
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Nomad
    Thanks
    Usually, I'm the guy on the forums trying to defend the girls, but DAMN! That girl is just hating herself and in denial, cause no matter how hard she tries she'll never be white. My sister dates a white dude, but she's not crazy like this girl, cause she actually dated many asians due to her mind not being affected by the media and society. She knows these stereotypes are bullshit, just like all the other stereotypes,hmmm maybe that girl on the show was just stupid. You know one of those dumb people who pretend to be smart by talking really loud while using big words to...

AL Supporting Member
    is hmm

I am:
    Awesome

w. Ratbert
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, Tyra is cool and I really like her.

In that episode of ANTM with the stupid Korean girl called Gina, she and other members of the jury really let Gina know how stupid she is!

AL Supporting Member
    is hmm

I am:
    Awesome

w. Ratbert
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    By the way, is there a video of this episode of IR couples somewhere on the Internet? I can't see American TV channels here..

Ascendant
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

NYC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
    By the way, is there a video of this episode of IR couples somewhere on the Internet? I can't see American TV channels here..
    You can try searching in youtube. You'll never know what you'll find there.

Beginner
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteSeer View Post
    Interesting first hand experience. Here's a woman (half Filipino on her mother's side) who was told by her mother not to date Filipino men. It seems out of all the Asian women who prefer to date outside their race, Filipino women do so with the most, uh, urgency.
    And now we know why some Filipino guys including myself at times find it hard to find girls...lol
    Till my next post
    Mabuhay!

Azn Filipino Pride
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." Bruce Lee

Journeyman
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----

Houston
    Thanks
    Last edited by move4ward; 08-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Beginner
    This user has no status.

I am:
    ----